A good way to find out what career is suitable for you is to log on to Kudos and take the careers test for young people. The career quiz matches your interests with possible careers based on the sorts of qualifications you think you will get and the types of things you’re interested in.
Kudos can be accessed at the following Connexions Centres:
- Long Eaton
When thinking about different careers, you need to:
- find out what interests you — what are you passionate about? Maybe you enjoy looking after children or perhaps you're really interested in creating new things
- realise what you're good at as well as what you're not so good at! Are you great at drawing but not so good at telling people what to do?
- think about the qualifications you're likely to get as this might affect what careers you can go into.
As well as using Kudos, you should also do some research into all the different jobs that are out there — there will be plenty that you didn’t even know existed!
- You can read through over 750 job profiles on the next step website. This will help you find out what different jobs are really like, what kind of pay you’ll get and what you need to get into different careers
- Find out what real people think about their jobs! The video room has lots of interviews with people working in different industries. It also links to the icould website where you can watch an interview with the editor of Cosmopolitan magazine, hear what a Quantity Surveyor has to say about their job and watch a career film about a Sports Therapist.
- Explore different sectors using the Thinking of a career in.. sheets, and
- Look at the Jobs info bank — it has useful links organised into job families.
You can talk your career ideas over with a Connexions Adviser in school or at your local Connexions centre.